8.27.2010

Preparation and Zombies

Have you read -=MY DISCLAIMER=- yet?

Obviously I am not a cheerful trusting soul, and though it causes friction in my interactions with the world it has served me well defensively. Pessimism eliminates disappointment, realism allows acceptance sans emotion, and my distrust towards humanity...well that just means that as a general rule of thumb I don't trust you, I don't like you, and I will never rely on you for anything. In light of current events I find myself becoming more and more aware of my survivalist leanings.
Survivalism is a movement of individuals or groups (called survivalists) who are actively preparing for future possible disruptions in local, regional, national, or international social or political order. Survivalists often prepare for this anticipated disruption by having emergency medical training, stockpiling food and water, preparing for self-defense and self-sufficiency, and/or building structures that will help them to survive or "disappear" (e.g., a survival retreat or underground shelter).
Without even realizing what I was doing I have made additions to my Pocket Dump (the contents of my pockets on any given day) to include a small powerful flashlight and a self contained screwdriver kit as well as the ever present Usual Suspects (knife, keys, phone, wallet, pen, lighter). Beyond "on my person" I'm actively carrying what I'll term my "day-bag" a pack with my nook, various meds (of which there's a growing variety and supply), charging cables (for phone, nook, etc), a small ration of Dr Pepper (for work), lighter fluid (for the lighter in my pocket) and my _____ (no I'm not clarifying on that right now).

I'm taking a leveled or layered approach to self preparedness. Obviously the first level is my Pocket Dump, followed by my Day Bag, and this is where my outfitting stops currently. As you move up in level one would assume the equipment becomes more specific and less "generally" useful (as well as more expensive and extensive) next would be a more traditional BOB in my car, followed by the most extensive supply at home. My logic is use your pockets to get you to your bag, your bag to get to the car, the car to get to the house and you can work through your levels as necessary based on your location/situation at the onset of whatever is happening.

My off the shelf backpack has loads of room but most of it's wasted because everything is loose in the bag. So I'm going to consolidate the meds into a first aid kit of sorts, along with additional related materials and buy a new pack for my Day Bag. My current backpack will rotate into my BOB in the car as it has a large capacity for things I won't need often but would want to have around. Then we move into "other" hardware...I'll discuss that later on. Remember you're only safe with a properly thought out zombie plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment