10.21.2010

Random ramblings

Have you read -=MY DISCLAIMER=- yet?

Haven't posted here in a few days it seems...caught up in other things I suppose. Here's the current state of the union folks. I'm thrashing through some of my existentialist despair through contemplation of adopting a few additional media into my expressive arsenal.

As some of you may know I've begun work on an episodic story on another blog. The episodic approach as well as the first person introspective "diary" style I've adopted presents some interesting challenges as well as some exciting freedoms that wouldn't be possible in a more traditional format. For instance, being episodic I can let the story change and flow without having to know how it all turns out myself...I'm just as excited for the next episode as the readers (assuming there are any). The diary aspect allows a peek into the characters personal thoughts without excessive narration and leaves the reader responsible for filling in all the details from their own imagination. Personally I think that horrors are much more effective when the audience fills in the gaps themselves because they will naturally take those things they fear and use them to paint the picture for themselves resulting in a much more effective story. Sadly there hasn't been much response or interest in the story as far as I can tell.

Now if you're familiar with me you'll know that writing could never be considered "a new media of expression" so on to the new. I can't draw, I can't paint, but I still feel something of a gap in my ability to express the ideas and concepts in my head because of a complete lack of any form of visual media. Oddly enough, the work on Diary of a Dead Man has reminded me of a few interests from my past that, combined with some previously unconsidered forms of artistic expression, could easily lend themselves to an EXTREMELY visual media that I may (or may not, of course) be able to find a really effective outlet in. Anyone curious? Well I'm thinking the forgiving nature of oil based modeling clays (they don't harden so I can forever adjust and edit) combined with my experience and interest in makeup effects including foam latex appliances could give rise to a form of sculpture removed from the norm. Something that's not quite sculpture, but not quite halloween mask either...my first subject would of course be the "Dead Man" from the Diary.

In other news I've recently decided I want a puppy. No not just any dog, because I hate 99.8% of canine companions the world over, but a puppy. I'm in the market for a limited AKC registered blue Dane pup between 7-10 weeks and am currently solidifying my choice of breeder and preparing for the great journey of raising and training a gentle giant. No they may not be well known as brilliant thinkers, but to be quite honest I've considered many aspects of canine personality and feel that an overly intelligent breed would be beyond my capacity. Smart dogs get bored easily, bored dogs get destructive. I could write an entire essay on the research I've done that brought me to the Dane as the perfect breed for me and probably refute a lot of the arguments I'd hear about how I don't live on a farm so the dog would never have as much space as it needs. (Danes are mid-to-low-activity and perfectly suited to being house dogs despite their size not to mention they're people pups and need human contact to be happy). The breeder I have selected (as of now) has a litter of blues scheduled for winter so I'm going to start getting everything ready to welcome my new gangly ball of steel blue uncoordinated happiness into his new home.

1 comment:

  1. Clarification...I hate most dogs because most people don't bother to train them. The majority of people buy a dog and leave it in their back yard and feed it once a day but never spend any real time with it. Hence the dogs bark incessantly, they tear things up, they jump on people, and are just generally obnoxious little wastes of oxygen. I intend to be involved daily with Bean with heavily regimented obedience training and constant contact with him so he will be an excellent example of why YOUR dog sucks. :p

    ReplyDelete